Sunday, January 28, 2007

Tory Attack Ads

The Tory internal polls must show that Harper is so disliked by the public that their only option now is to go for the "bomb the bridge" strategy used by Mulroney in 1988. I think this round of ads attacking Dion is an incredibly risky strategy for several reasons. For one, it reeks of desperation.

Two, they are using Jason Kenney to roll these ads out. Jason Kenney is like Radioactive Man to the average voter. He reminds me of Mike Harris, or someone who would trip a blind man and laugh. Kenney personifies everything non-conservatives hate about the Tory Party. His presence will guarantee the project will be perceived as mean-spirited.

Three, they are running the ads during the Superbowl. I don't know about you, but when I am watching the Superbowl, the last thing I want to see is an attack ad from a political party. In fact, I don't want to be reminded of politics at all. This fact alone, could cause a backlash against the Tories.

Finally, the Tory caucus think the ads are funny. Remember these are the same guys (and lets face it they are mostly middle aged frat boys) who thought attacking Chretien's facial paralysis was a hoot. If I was in the PMO, I think I would think twice about accepting their critial judgements.

I think this strategy is bound to backfire and so I should be cheering the Tories on, but I won't. I think this is yet another demonstration of their political immaturity and judgement. The country deserves better than to be subjected to the snickering poo poo jokes of these clowns.
Recommend this Post

No comments:

Post a Comment