Friday, June 18, 2010

At Least They Still Have Doctor Who

Wow England sucks, this time out, at the World Cup. Mind you, my team didn't do so well today, but at least I still have hope. The English not so much. Don't believe me? Read this. One thing you can't beat the English at is witty put downs. Favorite bit:
One can only observe, yet again, how perfectly good, even excellent players seem automatically to malfunction the minute they don the accursed garment. The England shirt is the precise opposite of a superhero costume, turning men with extraordinary abilities into mild-mannered guys next door. Were Stephen Fry to pull it on, he would struggle to string a sentence together. Were Lucian Freud to slip it over his head he would turn his easel round to reveal a childlike scribble of a cat. Psychological meltdown is now part of the warp and weft of its wretched fibres and it will clearly take someone other than Capello to fix it.
Recommend this Post

2 comments:

  1. If England beats Slovenia, she still advances -- uglily, but still within the rules...

    ReplyDelete
  2. If England beats Slovenia

    Given the way England has been playing, that "if" should not only be capitalized, but also lit in neon. I want both England and France to advance because I going to both places in a couple of weeks and I don't want them to be in a funk when I get there.

    ReplyDelete